Do you have a homeschooling style? Do you do most of your homeschooling in your house or do you belong to a Co-Op? In our house we have adopted more of a traditional style of homeschooling, but with a twist. Our favorite thing to do is get out in our community or other states and experience learning through museums, classes, zoos, memorials, tours, and exploring.
One way to remember where you take a field trip or travel to is to buy a postcard from that place. We buy a postcard everywhere we go to document our journeys. We even bought a white poster board and hung it in our school room and titled it “Shaw’s Homeschooling Trips”. We write the date and location of the trip on the back of the card and tape the postcards onto this board.
The first year we bought our travel trailer, spent 2 and 1/2 months living in it. It was an amazing experience for our family. We started our journey in Montana and traveled to Illinois. After Illinois we traveled to Ohio. We started buying our postcards on this trip. Now we have almost a whole board filled with our adventures. Here are all the places we have bought a postcard from:
- The Wilds in Zanesville, OH
- National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, OH
- Saint Louis Zoo in St Louis, IL
- Saint Louis Science Center in St Louis, IL
- Reptile Gardens in Black Hills, South Dakota
- Bear Country USA in Black Hills, South Dakota
- Mount Rushmore in Black Hills, South Dakota
- Crazy Horse in Black Hills, South Dakota
- Buffalo Bill Historic Center in Cody, WY
- Yellowstone National Park in WY
- Glacier National Park in West Glacier, MT
- Montana Grizzly Encounter in Bozeman, MT
- Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, MT **Special Exhibit: Pompeii
- Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument on the Crow Agency, MT
- Zoo Montana in Billings, MT
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science in Denver, CO ** Special Exhibit: Mummies
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science in Denver, CO ** Special Exhibit: Vikings
- Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum in Denver, CO **Special Exhibit: Star Wars Pod Racer and X-Wing
- Downtown Aquarium in Denver, CO
- Denver Zoo in Denver, CO
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings in Manitou Springs, CO
- Garden of the Gods in Manitou Springs, CO
- 9/11 Memorial on Fort Carson, CO
- Estes Park, CO
- Bannack State Park in Dillon, MT
Field trips or traveling can be a wonderful way to get out of the classroom and learn. We love learning and exploring. Our kids have gotten so much knowledge from traveling and hands on learning. They have petted sting rays and fed butterflies. They have driven past rhinos and found new favorite animals.
Our Favorite Experiences
My son Joshua found a new favorite animal, a Sichuan Takin. He has started to collect any item he could find that is a Sichuan Takin or a Bison. Luckily, we live in Montana, so he can see all the Bison he wants. One of Matthews favorite places to discover was the Manitou Cliff Dwellings in Manitou Springs, Co. He liked going into the Native American homes built into the cliffs. He thought it was so fascinating to see in a community and how they lived. Isabella’s favorite field trip was to the Denver Downtown Aquarium. She liked watching the mermaid show and petting the Sting Rays. She liked seeing all the different types of fish.
Whatever budget your family has, there is always so much to learn in our community and through our own experiences. I encourage everyone to take your kids outside and explore. If you see a butterfly or worm, explore it. Learn about it. Encourage your kiddos!
Hi my name is Laurie. I am so glad you are here! I am a Christian homeschooling mom of 3, caregiver to my Veteran husband, mom to a son with Autism, community volunteer, travel loving, and blogger. As you might notice, I do not live the “expected life”. Come join my family and other families as we experience Living The Unexpected Life.